About Glenduff Manor
In 1846, Glenduff house was a medium-sized rectangular house, with a porch; the stabling was a long, rectangular building behind and there was a small barn nearby. There were plantations of trees and an ancient fort. Today it is of two storeys and three bays, solidly built with red sandstone block with limestone surrounds. The rooms have high ceilings with plain moldings and chimney pieces of grey, white and red marble. There are decorative motifs on the side of the house. The handsome doorway of limestone is now protected by a glass porch.
Meaning of “Glenduff”
Glenduff or Gleann-dubh (Irish spelling) means the black valley.
We are in the Townland of Kielduff or Choill-dubh (Irish spelling), which means the black wood
John Hurly, Clerk of the Peace and Justice of the Peace (J.P.) for Kerry, lived at Bridge House, Tralee but retained Glenduff as his Country Estate. He married in 1814, Anna, only daughter of Colonel Hugh Hill, and died in 1854. His eldest son, Robert Conway Hurly J.P., succeeded him at Bridge House and Glenduff, while his younger son, John, moved to Fenit House. Robert married firstly, Dorcas Blennerhassett (Ballyseedy, q.v.) in 1845 and secondly Annie Cumens (Devon) in 1860. Their son, John Conway Hurly of Glenduff, sold the property in 1912 and emigrated to Alberta, in Canada, aged 50 years. The house was valued at £10 15s back in 1906. His brother Maurice, inherited Bridge House. The Glenduff property was bought by Erraught of Tralee, who lived here until 1963 when the Turner family purchased it, living here and working the farm until 1974. Con O’Connell moved then to Glenduff, sold some land, demolished some of the stable yards at the back part of the house and built on further bedrooms, so that it could be used to accommodate guests. In 1989, Con O’Connell sold the property and the remaining land to Mr. and Mrs. Sugrue. In 2016, Glenduff Manor was renovated and restored by Michael O’Malley of Dingle, Co. Kerry.
Current Day Glenduff Manor
Glenduff Manor, our 19th Century period residence, built in 1846, is set in tranquil surroundings, only five miles from Tralee Town, the capital town of Kerry on the South West Coast of Ireland. Enjoy our competitive rates, friendly personal service, luxurious furnishings and fine art in a comfortable and peaceful setting. The property has been beautifully restored and maintained to meet the needs of the discerning traveler.
We provide a personal service, which ensures that guests will feel at home throughout their stay. Each luxurious room is en-suite featuring all the necessary connectivity including WiFi, with each room’s decor and furnishing in keeping with this period residence. Breakfast can be enjoyed in our spacious and bright dining room. The private lounge is the perfect place to escape from it all, with an open fire and a relaxing atmosphere looking on to our gardens.
The manor and gardens offer the peaceful and idyllic ambience for which Irish rural life is renowned. For those who wish to relax and take it easy, this is the place to be. For the more energetic, there is hill walking and rambling along scenic country roads taking in spectacular views of Tralee Bay. It is an ideal base for exploring the delights of Tralee and County Kerry. Just a short drive away there are a number of sandy beaches and an array of first class golf courses to avail of. Kerry is the most popular golf destination in the world, boasting a number of Ireland’s finest courses within easy reach including Tralee Golf Course designed by the great Arnold Palmer. You can also enjoy the world famous scenic drives including the Ring of Kerry, Dingle Peninsula and Slea Head.